Here you will find supplementary materials to assist you while participating in Ocean Bitemap.
Find downloadable PDFs of the Bitemap protocols here:
The following data sheets can be printed and taken into the field for accurate record keeping during your experiment. Squidpop data will be collected then transferred to the Squidpop Data Upload Form. For seines, collect data on the Field Seine Field Data Sheet and then transfer to the Fish Seine Data Spreadsheet (xlsx) for transmission to MarineGEO:
All materials for squidpops can be found in your local hardware stores, food markets, and/or online retailers. In order to maintain convenience and consistency across experiments we have included the following list for suggested items. If you use materials other than what is listed below, please indicate what you used in the ‘notes’ field of the data entry form.
- Fiberglass Garden Stakes (1/4 in fiberglass rods, lengths can be cut in half to 2 foot segments)
- Fishing Line (10lb, clear or equivalent)
- Dried Squid (in order to maintain bait consistency, we ask that you use this widely available product) alternate source here
- Electrical Tape
- Cork Borer (1.3 cm diameter)
- Netting for seine (you must supply your own wooden/PVC poles, 50′ of net suggested)
You can find the published paper detailing squidpop methods here:
Duffy JE, Ziegler SL, Campbell JE, Bippus PM, Lefcheck JS (2015) Squidpops: A Simple Tool to Crowdsource a Global Map of Marine Predation Intensity. PLoS ONE 10(11): e0142994. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0142994.